Current Positions Available
We are no longer accepting hard copy applications and have moved to an eRecruitment system for lodgement of applications.
- I don’t have access to a computer – what should I do?
- Our public libraries provide public access computers with word processing and internet. Please phone your local library to book a computer to avoid disappointment.
- I don’t have an email address – what should I do?
- You will need to establish your new email account before you can register through our eRecruitment portal. If you are not confident you can complete this process, we recommend you visit your local library and ask if staff can assist.
Completed applications must be received before 4pm on the advertised closing date. All applications received will become the property of Lismore City Council.
We are looking for people who embrace, demonstrate and align with our Council’s values, which have been developed by staff for staff.
Show mutual respect
- We cultivate a sense of belonging for everyone.
- We are honest and build trust between each other.
- We consider our actions and our reactions to others.
- We are understanding, caring and respectful of differences.
- We are accountable for all that we do and support others in their responsibilities.
Strive to do our best
- We are determined, disciplined, consistent and realistic.
- We plan, prepare and take ownership of our efforts.
- We show leadership through professionalism.
- We support each other to achieve our best.
- We work safely together.
Love doing what we do
- We are passionate about the work we do.
- We improve and look for better ways to do things.
- We care about each other and our community.
- We recognise and reward hard work.
- It’s ok to have fun.
Connect, listen and learn
- We encourage participation and inclusion in all our communications.
- We are transparent, fair and accountable.
- We are trained to do our jobs well.
- We communicate respectfully.
Values begins with V, but start with you.
Council operates a merit-based recruitment process.
If you are successful in gaining an interview you will be informed via email or phone. Please inform the person arranging the interview if you have any special requirements, e.g. wheelchair access.
A selection panel, generally consisting of at least three people, will conduct interviews. The panel will consist of employees from the department/occupation related to the position and generally one independent person either external to Council or from a section unrelated to the vacant position.
The panel will attempt to determine your suitability for the position by asking a combination of technical questions and questions about your experience which relate to the essential and desirable criteria and job tasks listed in the job description.
The interview will follow a structured process and the panel will ask all applicants the same questions. They may follow up in more depth with individual applicants if necessary.
Lismore City Council is a progressive and innovative organisation located in the beautiful Northern Rivers region of New South Wales – a truly special part of the world.
Lismore city is a regional hub with excellent health and education services, world-class sporting facilities and a rich artistic and cultural calendar of events.
Our community is proudly diverse and we offer city convenience with stunning natural beauty and many distinctive, character-filled villages. Our region is perfectly located, offering a country lifestyle close to beaches and World Heritage rainforest, yet just two-and-a-half hours from Brisbane.
As a Council we employ around 440 staff and service a population of almost 45,000 people. We care about our community, who are at the heart of everything we do.
All our work is guided by our Imagine Lismore 10 Year Plan, which was developed after 18 months of community consultation.
We are a smoke-free workplace offering a great work/life balance with flexible work arrangements. We also offer confidential professional counselling, education assistance, training and generous leave arrangements. Our people are employed under the Local Government State Award.
Where you are invited to meet with us for an interview, you may be asked to participate in pre-employment screening processes as part of the selection process. These may include:
- A physical exam (at our expense) including a hearing and drug test.
- A physiotherapist appointment.
- Skills testing.
- Psychological testing.
- Checking authenticity of certificates and qualifications.
- Reference checking.
- Verification of working with children check numbers.
- Any other applicable screening relevant to the role.
- An invitation to attend a medical assessment is not to be perceived as a guarantee of an offer for employment.
Council values and understands equity and diversity in the workplace and we are committed to the development of a culture that is supportive of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) principles.
We will select the most suitable applicant for each vacant position on the basis of job-related selection criteria. An individual’s race, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual preference or membership of an ethnic or minority group will not affect his/her chances of employment.
Should you have any special needs during the recruitment process please contact the People Services Administrator – Recruitment on 1300 87 83 87 or email email@example.com.
Lismore City Council has adopted a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) which is about relationships, respect and opportunities. It provides a way to create opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through strengthening respect and building strong relationships between the wider community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The RAP includes changes to Council’s Aboriginal Employment Strategy with a targeted increase in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment. We would like our workforce to reflect the proportion of the Lismore Local Government Area’s workforce that is Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
You can sign up for our online 'Job Alert' plus a variety of electronic newsletters below in our Subscribe section. This is a quick and easy way to keep up-to-date with current positions vacant and the latest Council news.
Casual positions at Council are managed by JHA Recruitment and Complete Staff Solutions. For further information on casual positions contact:
- JHA Recruitment on 1300 800 301 or visit JHA Recruitment.
- Complete Staff Solutions on 1800 308 308 or visit Complete Staff Solutions.
As a major employer in our Local Government area, we want to provide meaningful and diverse work experience for secondary and tertiary students.
While we will try to assist where possible with work experience placements, the high volume of enquiries and demand means that we may not be able to meet all requests.
If you wish to apply for a work experience placement, please follow the steps below and allow up to 14 days for us to determine if your request can be accommodated.
How to apply:
Your application for work experience must include:
- A cover letter addressing your area of interest, length of work experience required, dates and available hours you can work.
- Your resume including current education information and any past work experience.
- A signed letter or Student Workplace Learning Record from your school, TAFE or university.
- A copy of your public liability insurance coverage.
- WorkCover Construction Induction Certificate –White Card (where applicable).
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately we cannot accept unsolicited resumes or applications due to our recruitment merit practices.
Only applications that directly relate to a position advertised on our website can be accepted for consideration for that role.
If you are interested in working for Lismore City Council, you are encouraged to regularly review our positions vacant and follow the application advice for the position being advertised or sign up for our Job Alerts.
Council has adopted a Privacy Management Plan in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (the Privacy Act) and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002. It is recommended that you read the Privacy Management Plan prior to submitting any personal information to us.
As part of the recruitment process, Council will collect information about you. This information is private information for the purposes of the Privacy Act. Our guiding principles are these:
- We will use information for the purpose it was collected.
- We will use your application to determine your suitability for the position.
- We will take reasonable steps to protect information from misuse or unauthorised access.
- We will dispose of your personal information in accordance with the State Records General Disposal Authority.
- If you want to know exactly what personal information Council is holding about you, you are welcome to request such information by contacting Council’s Privacy Officer.